Cody Kitaura, multimedia journalist. View on LinkedIn
- I'm a multimedia journalist and communications professional with experience covering local and regional news, and even stories with international exposure. I've worked at a number of Sacramento-area news outlets and most recently as a public information officer for the California State Board of Equalization. I'm also vice president of the Sacramento Chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association. I've led data-driven reporting projects, trained dozens of editors on how to produce better video, built social media followings and represented my company on panels and at marketing events.
- Content Provider and Strategist. UC Davis. 2014 – Present. Wrote for faculty-staff publication and alumni magazine, helped plan marketing campaigns and redesign of magazine.
- Public Information Officer. California State Board of Equalization. 2014 – 2014. Wrote press releases, fact sheets, communication strategies and elected officials' talking points. Helped to organize news conferences and oversee social media efforts. Edited publications and other public communications.
- Senior Local Editor. Patch. 2010 – 2014. Launched a hyperlocal news site and grew its monthly traffic to half of the town’s population; led regional data-driven reporting projects and video-production trainings for all northern California editors; had stories picked up by AOL and The Huffington Post for national distribution; promoted the site at marketing events.
- Staff Writer. Elk Grove Citizen. 2009 – 2010. Closely covered city government activities, community events and breaking news, utilizing multimedia.
- Freelance Writer. Lincoln News Messenger. 2009 – 2009. Wrote stories on short notice dealing with complex local government issues, environmental disputes and local business.
- Online Managing Editor. The State Hornet, California State University, Sacramento. 2007 – 2008. Led redesign of website. Produced and edited video, podcasts and audio slideshows. Guided and evaluated section editors.
- California State University, Sacramento – bachelor's degree in journalism, Magna Cum Laude.
- Asian American Journalists Association – member, June 2008 – present; Sacramento chapter secretary, 2011; Sacramento Chapter vice president, 2012 - present.
- Asian American Journalists Association Executive Leadership Program graduate, 2013
- Online News Association – member, 2011 – present.
- Society of Professional Journalists – Reporters Institute graduate, 2011